FREELANCE COPY EDITOR
SENIOR COPY EDITOR, LAWRENCE JOURNAL-WORLD
As the Lawrence Journal-World’s senior copy editor, I supervised copy editors, edited stories, paginated the next day’s paper and managed the Journal-World's website, LJWorld.com, five days a week. I also coordinated coverage for late-breaking news should stuff hit the fan (stuff did, in fact, hit the fan). I would also promote Journal-World content on social media — namely Twitter and Facebook — and create and schedule lead stories for LJWorld.com using our CMS.
As a serial comma killer for hire, I'm here to help anyone add some polish and punch to their content, whether it be print, online, news, sports, pop culture, advertising or marketing — grammar don't discriminate. My jack-of-all-trades background gives me the flexibility to work in various roles on all kinds of projects.
FEATURES EDITOR, LAWRENCE JOURNAL-WORLD
December 2012-January 2016
For several years I managed the Lawrence Journal-World’s arts and features sections, including (deep breath):
• Sunday A&E (arts and entertainment)
• Going Out (previews of upcoming events happening in the community as well as stories covering local restaurants)
• Food (a mix of recipes from local contributors and wire sources)
• Lawrence Living (featuring lifestyle stories from local contributors, including advice on gardening, travel, women's fashion, home decor, pets and more)
• WellCommons (health and wellness advice)
Many of those sections were planned and launched under my watch, and I was in charge of implementing the content and design. Other than these sections, a reporter and pool of freelancers, I managed content on the Journal-World's arts and entertainment website, Lawrence.com.
COPY EDITOR, LAWRENCE JOURNAL-WORLD
October 2006-December 2012
My first "real" job. As a copy editor for the Journal-World, I edited local stories for style, grammar, clarity and accuracy; wrote headlines (using puns, when appropriate); laid out pages; monitored and selected Associated Press content for the paper; and posted stories on online.
Internships! During and just after college, I cut my copy-editing teeth at The Arizona Republic (Pulliam copy editing fellowship), Time Out New York (copy editing internship), and Indianapolis Star (Dow Jones copy editing intern).
As most journalists can tell you, we're not in this for the fortune and glory. But it's nice to get recognized for our hard work every once in awhile:
• First and second place, best features package, Kansas Press Association Awards of Excellence 2014
• Third place, best features package, Kansas Press Association Awards of Excellence 2017
University of Kansas, 2001-2005
I graduated from KU in the fall of 2005 with a degrees in journalism and creative writing. I literally have a degree in puns.